VLC Media Player is one the widest used free and open source media player among the Windows and Linux users. The biggest advantage is that it can play almost any kind of media file and the codecs are pre-installed. So, you do not need to download each codec separately. All you have to do is download VLC Media Player and install it to enjoy smoothing experience in watching movies and listening to songs. Being an open source and free software and licensed under GNU Genera Public License, you can use it, distribute it and share it with your friends without any cost.
Features of VLC Media Player
- Simple, Powerful and Fast
- Plays everything, Files, Discs (DVD, CD, VCD, Blu-Ray), Webcams and Streams
- Plays most video formats with no codec packs needed: MPEG-2, H.264, DivX, MPEG-4, MKV, WebM, WMV
- Works on most platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix.
- Completely Free and open source.
- Media converter and streamer.
Install VLC Media Player for Ubuntu
There are 3 ways to install VLC Media Player for Ubuntu.
The first step is to install VLC Media Player for Ubuntu through Software Center. You can search the Software software and install it with a click.
The second step is to Install VLC the graphical way.
- Open Synaptic application. System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.
- Search for vlc and install it.
- Also install browser-plugin-vlc.
The third way to install VLC Media Player is through Command line.
Open a terminal and run the following two commands.
% sudo apt-get update % sudo apt-get install vlc browser-plugin-vlc
These are the three steps through which you can install VLC for Ubuntu easily. VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. In case you have some damaged file or an incomplete downloaded file, you still can play it through VLC Media Player. Other meida players require you to download the complete file before it can be played. This feature of ubuntu gives you an option of checking the file quality while downloading.
Image Courtesy : http://images1.videolan.org/vlc/screenshots/0.9.2/qt-fullscreen.jpg
VLC also supports playing subtitles along with the movie. The subtitle can be synchronized if it's not working in parallel to the audio and video. For more information about VLC Media Player, visit its homwpage www.videolan.org
If you want a complete list of the audio and video formats, input formats, subtitle and A/V formats, you can read it here. VLC Media Player Features.
There are various skins available for VLC Media Player and you can download it from the videolan skin download page.
To use these skins, Linux users have to follow the following steps:
- Put the downloaded VLT files in the following folder:~/.local/share/vlc/skins2
- Open your VLC settings and change your interface from native to skins.
- Go to Interface>Choose Skin to select your preferred skin.
- Restart VLC Media Player for the changes to work.
Homepage : www.videolan.org
If you have not tried Ubuntu, you can Install linux ubuntu on Oracle VM virtual box. You can even Try Ubuntu without installing by booting from USB/DVD. VLC Media Player is a Open Source Software.